Accessibility View Close toolbar

Neuropathy

Peripheral Sensory Neuropathy- New Treatment that Works!

What Is Neuropathy?

Neuropathy is characterized by pain, burning, pins and needles, numbness, a thick feeling of the feet and lower legs and many other descriptions of abnormal sensations. Peripheral sensory neuropathy can affect the lower legs and feet as well as the arms and hands.

Neuropathy is most often associated with conditions such as diabetes, chemotherapy treatment, the use of statin drugs and entrapment syndromes in which nerves are pinched in the spine. There are many other causes of neuropathy; however these are the most common causes seen in our office.

What Causes Neuropathy to Develop?

Neuropathy develops when there is dysfunction of the nervous system. Recent research indicates that in 90% of the cases neuropathy develops when nerve signal propagation is reduced between adjacent nerve cells due to a temporary hypoxia or insufficient oxygen being available to support nerve cell metabolism. The other 10% of cases are caused by physical trauma to the nerves. When nerve cells are deprived of oxygen they contract in size, (which decreases their surface area thus reducing their need for oxygen), causing a larger gap, (technically called the synaptic gap), between nerve cells making it harder for the nerve impulses to jump from one nerve to the other. This increased gap size causes a loss of minerals in the synaptic fluid resulting in poor conductivity of nerve impulses.

In the case of diabetes, excess insulin/glucose in the blood causes clogging of the capillaries that deliver oxygen and nutrients to the nerve cells resulting in contraction of the nerve cell, increased gap size, loss of mineralization of synaptic fluid and poor conduction of nerve impulses.

In the case of chemotherapy and statin drug use, these drugs have a toxic effect on the nerve cells, resulting again in nerve cell contraction, reduced oxygenation, increased gap size, loss of mineralization of synaptic fluid and poor conduction of nerve impulses.

In the case of compressive neuropathies,(pinched nerves in the spine), when muscle spasms occur in the cervical and lumbar spines due to joint dysfunction and or trauma, blood flow is restricted due to muscle contraction resulting in reduced oxygenation of the nerve cells. This results in nerve cell contraction, increased gap size, loss of mineralization of synaptic fluid and poor conduction of nerve impulses.

Once this process of nerve cell dysfunction starts it will continue to worsen over time unless something is done to improve oxygenation and blood flow to the nerve cells, improve and provide nutrients to remineralize the synaptic fluid so that there is better conduction of the nerve impulses and restore normal nerve impulse conduction.

Drugs and neuropathy, drugs such as gabapentin, cymbalta and pain medications have been prescribed to treat neuropathy. They tend to help in the beginning, however many times they become ineffective and can cause gastrointestinal stress and dependency.

Our Neuropathy Program Addresses ALL Of The Causes Of Neuropathy.

Neuropathy is a tough condition to treat. Some cases improve quickly, others may take months. Left alone the symptoms of neuropathy will worsen. The treatment program at Myerstown Chiropractic Office for neuropathy includes;

  • FDA cleared medical device to restore normal nerve impulse conduction.
  • FDA cleared medical device to improve blood flow and oxygenation of nerve cells.
  • Cold laser therapy to improve healing of the nerves.
  • Nutrition to improve nerve healing.
  • Minerals to help improve nerve conduction in the synaptic gap.

For spinal compressive neuropathies, in addition to the above treatments we provide;

  • Spinal decompression therapy to reduce nerve root pressure.
  • Spinal and extra-spinal joint manipulation to reduce pressure on spinal and peripheral nerves.
  • Support products to stabilize spinal and joint problems causing nerve compression.
  • Exercises to strengthen muscles and improve circulation.

In office treatment consists of some or all of the above mention treatments. Treatment is done over a 5-6 week period utilizing 15-20 sessions depending upon the degree and length of time the neuropathy symptoms have been present. Some tough cases will require the use of a small home care device until the desired outcome is reached.

Our office provides a complimentary consultation to anyone with neuropathy symptoms to see if our program can help!

Please Call! 717-866-4423

Appointment Request Form

Make an appointment today!

Hours Of Operation

Find Out When We Are Open

Monday:

9:00 am-12:00 pm

2:00 pm-6:00 pm

Tuesday:

9:00 am-12:00 pm

2:00 pm-5:30 pm

Wednesday:

1:00 pm-6:00 pm

Thursday:

9:00 am-12:00 pm

2:00 pm-6:00 pm

Friday:

9:00 am-1:00 pm

Saturday:

Closed

Sunday:

Closed

Office Location

Join Our Email List Today!

Get Up-To-Date Announcements & Offerings